Here are five tips I learned from national corporate & foundation development officers at a CASE conference in New York:
- Make sure that you project aligns with priorities of the corporation. They are looking for a return on investment.
- Offer engagement opportunities, specifically volunteer opportunities for corporate staff.
- Collaborative projects are attractive. Corporations want to know that your project is attractive to multiple funders.
- Community-focused projects that serve certain causes and segments of population are in demand for corporate funding.
- Develop a culture of philanthropy within your organization. Make sure that leadership has the buy-in.