My friend, Moses Saa tells me 13 rumors about Ebola in Sierra Leone. A brutal digital divide separates us he can email me only twice a week from an Internet café.
As we celebrate 25 years of the Internet of the Rich, Saa finally succeeds in sending me an email describing rumors about Ebola in his country.
- Ebola is caused by witchcraft.
- Ebola is caused by a snake that bites people as revenge.
- Ebola was brought by international Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), because they want to extend their contracts.
- The disease is premeditated and volunteers bring Ebola and body bags at the same time.
- Ebola was introduced to harm the opposition and for other political reasons .
- Ebola was introduced into homes as a result of spraying, causing people to flee or refuse disinfection.
- Ambulances take away people and they never return because they are killed.
- Foreigners are scheming to get money from institutions.
- Foreigners are collecting organs for science.
- Humanitarian organizations inject the disease to kill people and make money.
- Volunteers are paid to distribute drugs.
- The dead are beheaded before being placed in plastic bags, which is why relatives are not allowed to see the body.
- Body bags are full of rags and not corpses.
Besides these rumors, some people in Sierra Leone believe that washing the dead body of people infected with Ebola is sacred. And, they often contract the disease doing just that.
I worry about Saa, his family and the people of Sierra Leone. I am praying that this disease gets controlled fast.
Categories: Ebola, ebola crisis, ebola deaths sierra leone, ebola health disaster sierra leone, ebola myths, ebola rumors, Ebola West Africa, public health emergency ebola, rumors, rumors and lies about ebola, Uncategorized