Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) help achieve Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) goals of companies. They are bottom-up, employee-led, voluntary groups of like-minded individuals with a shared purpose. ERGs may include people with similar demographic structures or represent individuals with similar sexual orientation or other commonalities unique to a group.
ERGs are safe spaces for employees to voice their opinions, share ideas and get a seat at the table in leadership decisions. The goals of Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) include:
- Improve common aspirations like better working conditions, better promotion opportunities, etc. for particular groups within the company.
- Provide a safe space for employees to voice their opinions freely without fear of retribution.
- Create a common forum to work together on specific, important issues and build a better work culture based on the business goals of the company.
- Build allyship with other groups, especially marginalized groups within the company.
- Represent marginalized groups and be a voice of reason for their aspirations within the company.